Due to the Corona virus pandemic, there has been a pause in setting up new research studies. However some studies have been able to continue.
Research in CF is focussed on how existing treatment can be used more effectively, developed and new ones trialled.
Current studies include:
- CF START study evaluating whether young children are best treated preventatively with daily Flucloxacillin or only treated if/when they develop an infection with Staphylococcus aureus
- Aurora 6-11 study of the safety of a new combination treatment (VX-445 with tezacaftor-ivacaftor) in 6-11 year olds
Children attending our service have participated in:
- Gene therapy trials
- Eradication of Pseudomonas (TORPEDO) ( http://www.torpedo-cf.org.uk )
- The use of inhaled Mannitol
- Novel ways of assessing information from exhaled breath (SPACE)
- CEFIT study of kidney function
- SNAP study of bone density in CF and other chronic conditions
- ATALUREN study for certain CF genotypes
- Protekt study - preventing kidney complications
- ALPINE 2 study looking at using nebulised Aztreonam for treating new isolation of Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- 3D-CF - Evaluation of a hearing test in CF
CTAP CTAP -The Clinical Trials Accelerator Platform is a UK-wide initiative to bring together cystic fibrosis (CF) centres, to increase participation and improve access to CF clinical trials.
We are the UK's only national charity dealing with all aspects of cystic fibrosis. We fund research to improve cystic fibrosis care and treatment, and aim to ensure appropriate clinical care and support for people with cystic fibrosis.